Empowering Women for Excellence Initiative (EWEI) is a Non-Governmental Organisation founded in April 2008. EWEI was officially registered by the Corporate Affairs Commission of Nigeria (CAC/IT/28137) on the 6th of June, 2008 and has been actively working to achieve her aims and objectives. EWEI is also registered with the Kaduna State Government through the Ministry of NGOs, Youth and Sports, Education and Women Affairs.
Our mission to provide multi-sectoral interventions towards the empowerment of girls and women and our vision is to achieve empowerment through enlightenment. We work towards empowering women through Capacity Building, Information Dissemination, Advocacy and Cross Cutting Community Service Projects.
We believe that sustainable development is only achievable through investment in human capital resources and providing girls and women the opportunities and resources they can use to improve their welfare, professionalism and well being.
Socio-cultural norms and practices limit the accessibility to capacity building opportunities as well as numerous other opportunities that abound for women both locally and internationally which can address the various issues that have long kept them and their communities under-developed and poverty stricken. Needlessly countless children and women die of preventable causes like malaria, HIV/AIDS, lack of proper child and maternal care. These and many more problems can be addressed through increased education and enlightenment in addition to evidence based advocacy and effective monitoring of government policies and programmes.
Encouraging girls and women to harness their abilities and take more active roles in decision making and policy formation will further ensure that their voices are heard and are taken seriously.
EWEI is governed by a 5 person Board of Trustees and EWEI a structured hierarchy of operations . Our 5 person Board of Trustees (BOT) are seasoned professionals in their respective fields and strong supporters and advocates for girls and women’s empowerment. EWEI’s BOT consists of 3 women and 2 men. EWEI was founded by Safiya Ibn Garba, who serves as the Programme Director or EWEI.
Our day to day operations are run through three main departments; Administration and Logistics, Finance and Supplies and Media and Publicity.
Our main Projects and Activities are:
- Economic Empowerment Partnerships (EEP)
- Educational Subsidy Programme (ESP)
- Empowerment Seminars (ES)
- EWEI NEWS
- EWEI Online
- Civic Education and Participation for Women Project (CEPWOP)
- Getting Involved (GI)
- Know and Say No (KSN)
Through our activities, Empowering Women for Excellence Initiative is:
- Providing girls and women training and information on gender-based violence, income generating skills and social entrepreneurship
- Providing educational subsidies to increase the enrollment, retention and completion rates of girls in public secondary schools
- Giving women the skills to engage with community leaders on community identified needs and building their capacity for increased civic engagement
- Working with partners and Government institutions to promote grassroots peace building and conflict transformation
You can become a member of EWEI is by filling out a membership form, a recommendation by two referees and a payment of a one-off token administrative fee of N500.00k (Five hundred Naira) only.