Empowering Women for Excellence Initiative (EWEI) is a Non-Governmental Organisation founded in April 2008. EWEI was officially registered by the Corporate Affairs Commission of Nigeria (CAC/IT/28137) on the 6th of June, 2008 and has been actively working to achieve her aims and objectives. EWEI is also registered with the Kaduna State Government through the Ministry of NGOs, Youth and Sports, Education and Women Affairs.
EWEI’s total reach by end of 2018 was 21,319 Direct Beneficiaries.
Our mission to provide multi-sectoral interventions towards the empowerment of girls and women and our vision is to achieve empowerment through enlightenment. We work towards empowering women through Capacity Building, Information Dissemination, Advocacy and Cross Cutting Community Service Projects.
We believe that sustainable development is only achievable through investment in human capital resources and providing girls and women the opportunities and resources they can use to improve their welfare, professionalism and well being.
Socio-cultural norms and practices limit the accessibility to capacity building opportunities as well as numerous other opportunities that abound for women both locally and internationally which can address the various issues that have long kept them and their communities under-developed and poverty stricken. Needlessly countless children and women die of preventable causes like malaria, HIV/AIDS, lack of proper child and maternal care. These and many more problems can be addressed through increased education and enlightenment in addition to evidence based advocacy and effective monitoring of government policies and programmes.
Encouraging girls and women to harness their abilities and take more active roles in decision making and policy formation will further ensure that their voices are heard and are taken seriously.
- Excellence in service beyond business as usual
- Generous in sharing knowledge and resources to enhance learning
- Investing in and grooming leaders of change and impact
- Inspire girls and women to be the best they can be and aim for excellence through capacity building and mentoring
- Support the development of social and emotional skills including self-esteem, leadership and assertiveness in our beneficiaries
- Provide information and capacity building on health, political, economic and social issues through our various information dissemination platforms and spaces
- Advocate for and encourage Girl-Child education to relevant stakeholders
- Advocate for and encourage higher enrollment, retention and completion rates for girls and women in science and information technology education
- Encourage civic participation of girls and women and contribute to both political and legislative process through capacity building, civic education and advocacy
- Work towards accomplishing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Advocate for progressive state budgeting practices and gender mainstreaming in legislation
- Support UNSCR 1325 and 2250 recognising and promoting the role of women and youth in peace building and conflict transformation.
EWEI is governed by a 5-person Board of Trustees and a structured hierarchy of operations.
Our 5 person Board of Trustees (BOT) are seasoned professionals in their respective fields and strong supporters and advocates for girls and women’s empowerment. EWEI’s BOT consists of 3 women and 2 men.
EWEI was founded by Safiya Ibn Garba.
Our day to day operations are run through four main departments:
- Finance and Supplies
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL)
- Organisational Development and Partnerships
- Civic Education and Participation for Women Project (CEPWOP)
- Economic Empowerment Partnerships (EEP)
- Educational Subsidy Programme (ESP)
- Empowerment Seminars (ES)
- EWEI NEWS
- EWEI Online
- Getting Involved (GI)
- Know and Say No (KSN)
- Our Safe Spaces (OSS)
Through our activities, Empowering Women for Excellence Initiative is:
- Providing girls and women training and information on gender-based violence, income generating skills and social entrepreneurship
- Providing educational subsidies to increase the enrollment, retention and completion rates of girls in public secondary schools
- Giving women the skills to engage with community leaders on community identified needs and building their capacity for increased civic engagement
- Working with partners and Government institutions to promote grassroots peace building and conflict transformation